Sunday, October 14, 2012

Question for ex-pats living in Thailand who have traveled and know Cambodia


Question for ex-pats living in Thailand who have traveled and know Cambodia.?
Question for ex-pats living in Thailand who have traveled around Cambodia.What to expect and what not to expect. Funny,I have lived in Thailand for years and the only time I have ever been in Cambodia was crossing over for a boarder run years ago.I have-other than reading different opinions on it-no real idea of the place and have never traveled there but am ready to go.Okay,from what I have read it is very different than Thailand which seems hard to believe because I have been to some backward places in the Isan here and I am have also traveled to some of the more dangerous places in the world like walking around downtown Kingston,Jamaica at night or in the outskirts of Lima,Peru(and I don't mean in a suit w/ a rolling suitcase like a confused lost tourist,I was staying there ) which were 2 of the more worrisome adventures I have ever had in this world but my point is that after traveling the world to many of it's darkest locations I am by no means a newbie.So how does Cambodia hold up against the rest of the world's more seedy locations.Are there good beaches and OK guesthouses to stay at there.I already know about the land mine problem but I just want some good advice on where to go and where not to go.
Thailand - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think my information goes back about 5 years on a trip to Angkor Wat which is definitely worth the trip. The bus ride in was a nightmare - the road a bumpy potholed mess with 30 yr olds saying I am too old for this - they delayed arrival so that we would come in after dark [ hopefully frightened and would stay at their guesthouse ] - they locked the doors so we could not get off the bus once in Siem Riep. The previously nice tour aides became screaming maniacs. When they finally opened the doors, rather than have customers everyone scattered. Bring a camera - fly in if you can or come up from Phnom Penh. Angkor Wat might just be THE greatest wonder of the world. About 8 years ago, I was in Phonm Penh. It was interesting. A little wild west but the clue was not to go out after dark. I was visiting Thai friends who were working there and they all had stories that ended with bullets coming through car windows - but always at night. Everyone said not to wander the streets at night. The Killing fields are chilling. I have heard good things abt Sihanoukville but never been. But best of all probably is that you can stop in Koh Chang on the way. Maybe bring an extra $150 and see if you can topic the 5x record.
2 :
The beach in Cambo, sihanoukville is very nice, nicer than any Thai beach. Phnom Phen is a little dangerous at night but not overly. About the same as Pattaya beach road at 1 am.






Read more discussions :