Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Okay... I'm 17 years old and have had this immense desire to adopt- not anytime soon though. I'm thinking


Okay... I'm 17 years old and have had this immense desire to adopt- not anytime soon though. I'm thinking...
by the time I'm 25, maybe a year sooner. I've done some research on it, but I don't always understand the information. I primarily researched adoptions from Cambodia. I live in Canada, and from what I could understand, adoptions from Cambodia to Canada no longer are possible? Why? I do plan to travel to different countries first. Without getting into too much detail, I'm already financially well off(probably not enough though, I'm aware of the cost to adopt internationally) but by the time I'm 25 I'll be able to afford it. Will some of my life choices affect my ability to adopt? As far as I know I'm capable of having biological children, and might choose to do so. Also my sexual orientation goes both ways, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get married. I don't want to wait until I'm 35+ to adopt either. Will any of these affect adoption? Please don't give me this huge lecture about the children in my own country who need a family, I'm aware of that. mkaythanks.
Adoption - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
your only 17 teen go volunteer some place you have Little bit more years until your 25 , get a puppy for now sweety, and take it ti different places for people in pain,,,
2 :
I can be of help..but not in cambodia..Philippines, yes. the law has many crinks to iron out but some crinks are just there like props. The law sez, adoption is a never ending story. papers, documents. etc etc. but not in the philippines. You adopt and vollah you got a son or a daughter as if yours from the womb to delivery. Wanna bet?
3 :
There is alot you can do to help those in need without having to remove them from their country and causing them to lose their heritage. Please give this some thought
4 :
Hi Iflu, To answer your question, there have been some ethical concerns about how the children being adopted from Cambodia have become available for adoption. Like any other place, adoptions should always be conducted in the highest ethical manner possible. That means only children who are truly available for adoption should even be considered. Every child has a natural mother & father. They would both need to voluntarily relinquish their parental rights first, or those would need to be terminated by a court order before any adoption can be considered. Next, that child's natural extended family should be considered as the next best logical place to be raised. If that is not an option, then they should look for a home staying within that child's culture. If all other options have been exhausted, then a home on another side of the world should be considered. If you would like your home to be considered as a suitable home for a child, then a homestudy would have to be conducted and you would need to meet all the requirements. These include criminal background checks, financial, personal references, other family members, age, your physical health, interviews, your house, among many other factors. For some countries, even 25 is not old enough to adopt there. Different countries have different regulations. Some required being married for X number of years. What they are looking for is the best home for a particular child. Since you are still young, you should not rule out having your own biological children. Someday you may feel differently than you do now. I admire that you want to help children. Did you know there are other ways to become involved that are also helpful to children in your own community? Examples include Big Sister/Big Brother programs. If you eventually do go on to become a foster mother or adoptive mother, those could prove to be valuable experiences for you. As for your other question, yes, single people as well as married people do adopt. Hope this information was helpful for you. julie j reunited adoptee
5 :
Why not take your burning desire to help people and do something more age appropriate? http://www.peacecorps.gov/ I think this would be the perfect opportunity for you. Then in 5 years, reassess how you feel.





Read more discussions :