Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Do I have to bring lots of money to be in Thailand


Do I have to bring lots of money to be in Thailand?
Hi I'm planning to do studyabroad in Thailand. The school is called Bangkok University. I don't know how much I need to bring money to Thailand. I'm thinking going there twice because first to go there as a tourist to open a bank then go to the school. I don't know how difficult doing this without my parent. Well I don't have any relative live in Thailand. I know for sure my uncle live in Cambodia but I never seen him in my life. So I wanted to know what you think about the money for school and supporting myself there awhile I'm studying there. The reason I ask because I don't want to make a hassel or have problem at the end. Just to let you know I'm Thai and Laos born in the USA.
Thailand - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Best way is to have a ATM card and online banking in your country. Be sure your bank will know you will be in Thailand so they don't block your card. You will find that Banks here in Thailand are very confused about opening bank accounts, you can go to 10 branches of the same bank and get different answers most say you need a work permit but thats not true. Best just to go and try until you get one that says yes. Bangkok Bank is my choice but many branches may want a Thai person to sign that they know you. After you have an account here, you can also transfer money here from the Bank in your account. Best to have a bank in your country with online banking, and have a parent as a co-owner of the account so they can do wire transfers to you. Is is best to visit here first to be sure your going to like it here, Thailand many not be everyone cup of tea.
2 :
It's a bit of a hassle opening a bank account here. You need to be a house holder or have a house holder, EG the house holder of where you are staying to go to the bank with you. Each bank branch stands alone, so you might get different answers even from the same banking group.
3 :
The ATM card is a good idea if you can get a "no fee" atm - this is very important - - no fee !! Bkk Univ should be able to give you guidelines as to your expenses
4 :
ATM debit card for travel once you have your visa as a student, then open a Thai bank account. Best to have travelers checks for transferring money in large amounts, like $500 TCs. The reason I say this is its $35 at some banks in the US to transfer cash. Or just ATM money and deposit inside the bank. I have friends that use ATM cards to pull cash and deposit into their thai banks. I just pull and spend, but keep 3 thai bank accounts.






Read more discussions :