Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm thinking of retiring in Cambodia, is it a good idea


I'm thinking of retiring in Cambodia, is it a good idea?
I currently live in Australia and my wife is from Cambodia. When I retire I thought my pension might go a lot further in Cambodia than here in Australia so I was wondering what problems I might encounter if I retired in Cambodia.
Other - Asia Pacific - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Is the area you will stay safe enough? What about medicine and other necessary aspects? What about tax system? Have you been to Cambodia at all? If not, try a short stay first.
2 :
Yes, it is a beautiful country and quite cheap. However you need to check that you can get the best medical care.
3 :
Your money will definately go futher but what about quality of life. I recently spend 10 days traveling around. It is really dirty and dusty. I have allergies so that wasn't the best place to go. The culture can be alittle overwelming, especially the constant beggars and peddlers. But I will say that Cambodia is an exotic and wonderful place. There is a big expat community in Phnom Phen, Sihanouville, and Siem Reap. I will also agree with the medical aspect. There isn't very good places to go and you will probally get sick alot. I got food posioning and I was really careful. All things to think about. I have lived in Asia for four years and love it. If you are flexable, and are up for an adventure I would say go for it. If you like the modern comforts of society I might suggest to think twice.






Read more discussions :