Friday, May 7, 2010

what do I feed baby rabbits


what do I feed baby rabbits?
My rabbit just had four kits yesterday. We live in Cambodia, so there's no store bought rabbit food, and if there is it's very expensive. So I just feed them this grass called Tro-goo'in. It has a lot of leaves on it, and the leaves are what they eat. But I'm not sure what the baby rabbits eat?
Other - Pets - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Rabbit kits should only have their mothers milk until they're weaned, at around 7-8 weeks old. The mother should be provided with a ton of hay - hay is better for them than grass! Actual greens should be fed in small amounts, some greens, even if the rabbits eat them, aren't necessarily very good for them! Greens which are, for example, high in sugar or high in calcium can be quite harmful in the long term for adult rabbits. Make sure the mother's diet is at least 80% good quality hay, unlimited hay with unlimited water supply. I've not heard of Tro-goo'in, but I'm in the UK.
2 :
Newborn baby rabbits nurse from their mom once or twice a day. After their eyes open, they'll come out of the nest box and start to nibble on mom's food. Do you have access to hay, like is fed to horses or cows? Your rabbit should have this anyway, for its digestion to work properly. The babies will eat this. Let them continue to nurse from their mother until they're 6-7 weeks old. I have more doe and kit care on my breeding page.
3 :
Do NOT feed them grass. They should be nursing from Mamma until 8 weeks of age, and at that time, PLEASE spay your rabbit, and find good homes for those babies who will ALSO spay/neuter them. ;) I suggest you join http://www.rabbitsonline.net - It's a VERY resourceful forum, free to join, tons of information and friendly, knowledgeable members who will help you and answer your questions.






Read more discussions :